A friend told me that when I visit the dentist I should say ‘no’ to the fluoride because it’s actually bad for you. Is that true?
While it is always your choice whether or not you’d like to receive the fluoride treatment, as dentists we highly recommend you say yes.
Fluoride is a natural mineral that hardens and protects your teeth. While it can not reverse a cavity once it has begun, it can help to make teeth less susceptible to acid attack and even remineralize damaged enamel.
The treatments we provide after a cleaning can help prevent tooth decay and even help to rebuild your teeth. It also helps to reduce the amount of plaque and bacteria in your mouth and stop cavities
What your friend may have heard is that too much can be toxic and make you very ill. This is why you should avoid swallowing toothpaste or a fluoride rinse. Young children who are unable to spit out toothpaste should use a non-fluoridated toothpaste until they are able to demonstrate this ability.
In small amounts it is perfectly safe and very beneficial to use fluoride. Those who are more susceptible to decay should be especially aware of the benefits.
Book your next appointment with us today – we’ll be able to answer any other questions you