Ask a Dentist

Q: My front tooth is growing above my baby tooth, at the top of my mouth. The dentist called it “abnormal eruption.” What will the treatment be?

A: Your dentist will tell you what your options are after a dental exam. Treatment depends on what area of your mouth the abnormal eruption is in and what’s blocking the way.

Before your adult teeth come in, your baby teeth have to fall out. Most people start losing their baby teeth at around 6 to 8 years old. Baby teeth should wiggle out on their own, but one or two might hang on longer than the others. In the places where your baby teeth are loose but still attached to your gums, you might have discomfort or difficulty cleaning the area. Also, that stubborn baby tooth could negatively affect the eruption of your adult tooth. To make room for your adult teeth and prevent other unwanted things from happening, your dentist may have to remove the baby tooth.

If you’re feeling uncomfortable about getting your teeth pulled, let your dentist know. There

are a few ways to make this easier for you. Numbing gel (that numbs your gums) or Laughing Gas (that calms you down) are options which may make the process

less scary.

Because abnormal eruptions usually come in from the wrong side of your gums, you may also

need help straightening things out. Your dentist may suggest a consult to discuss your options. Both of our

North and South offices offer Invisalign and it is important to determine if you are a candidate in order to outline the potential benefits of straightening your teeth.